LARP, LLC Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to LARP, Questions?

5 posters

Go down

New to LARP, Questions? Empty New to LARP, Questions?

Post  darksideuser Thu May 06, 2010 1:38 am

Hello all,

I am new to the LARP community but interested in participating this coming summer. As far as role-playing, I do have some experience for I am the Grand Master of a group of Jedi and Sith at Morehead State University in KY and have been for about 4 years. So I am well-versed in swordsmanship and battle. The Medieval/Renaissance aspect will be new to me but I am sure I can adapt fairly quickly. I am not familiar with the point system except in aspects of games like WoW and Oblivion so I will have to learn to use them in actual RP (I was never a table-top gamer so I'm a bit of a noob here). I do however have an idea about my character:

Warrior Mage / Templar / Knight- Want to play a character that is mostly physical sword combat, but still throw out some fire or lightning damage in a pinch. My weapons would be a single sword and a staff.

Armor- Help here would be nice. Chainmail is probably not right for a warrior mage (don't know the proper term for this). So leather-ish? Thinking of leather greaves, chest, etc. over a robe of some form. And some form of crown or circlet with a jewel (nothing big really). Thinking of some form of one-arm full pauldron on my left arm (sword arm when dual-wending staff).

Backstory- Yet to be determined

Questions: So many armor and weapons dealers. What should I look for for this type of character? Certain materials for weapons preferable?

Thanks all,
DSU

darksideuser

Back to top Go down

New to LARP, Questions? Empty Re: New to LARP, Questions?

Post  Arvil Boulderbreaker Thu May 06, 2010 6:16 am

DSU,

Glad you are entering the realms of medieval combat. The character you are describing is a celestial Templar in NERO, a warrior with some inclination to magic/ scribe with formal combat training. The one problem is with the weapon choices. in NERO a staff is a 2 handed weapon and can't be used with a sword. you can use 2 swords, or a sword and spear, sword and axe, or sword and mace. as for armor the the guy in our chapter that is a celestial templar does wear metal armor (well plastic armor made to look like metal). If you would like a bit of help fleshing out a character history contact Travis the chapter owner at swvnero@gmail.com. you could also contact me or one of the other guys from KY (character names Terik and Vaylen).

AB
Arvil Boulderbreaker
Arvil Boulderbreaker

Back to top Go down

Post  Micha_Amasai Thu May 06, 2010 3:32 pm

Greetings DSU and WELCOME!

AB, pretty much hit it head on.... I actually play a Earth Templar (healer with weapon) however my primary focus is in healing not combat. But as for you character you would probably want to build it along the Celestial Templar, where Templar would be your class, Celestial would be your chosen school of magic!

Then of course you would decided on which route to focus more on Combat of casting.... Cast more times per day, or Swing for more damage? There are many options... If you need any help with building/creating your first character.. I (or anyone else on the boards) would be more then willing to help!.... (micah(at)orderofamasai.com)

Hope to see you soon!

Michael
Micha_Amasai
Micha_Amasai

http://www.shopneroswv.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu May 06, 2010 8:24 pm

DSU,

Welcome, I see most of your questions have been answered. I will clear up on one thing though if you do, want to dual wield weapons. Your off hand weapon depending on skills will always be a short or small weapon. You can of course wield two short weapons if you like as well.

If you haven't already download the free rulebook here from the website:

http://neroswv.com/playerguide.html

The book will have in it the materials we use to make weapons, as well as armor. If you need any additional help you can always contact me at swvnero@gmail.com. Now for costume, armor, and weapon dealers you can check out these venders:

http://neroswv.com/costuming.html

We also make ultra-light weapons for people depending on the weapon ordered we usually charge 20 dollars for most normal weapons. If its a staff or polearm we will have to take a look at cost, since we haven't made one for anyone yet. Also, if you do decided to go this route I will have to ask my partner if he has any materials to make what you need. If not we will get it ordered for you, plus if you want many of our players make weapons as well. You can contact most of them via this message board, out of game.

Here is the link to our website if you would like to read the current history and I suggest reading some of the messages on the board to get an idea of on going plot. Now this isn't anything you have to do just a suggestion.

http://neroswv.com/

Once you have an idea of the race, class, and skills you would like your character to have ingame. You can send it to me at swvnero@gmail.com so I can put your character into the data base. All characters start at level two or 30 build. If you need any help with any of this I'm more then happy to help you. Just shoot me a email and we can get to work on figuring out what you would like to do as a PC.

I look forward to your questions

Travis Fauber
Owner NERO SWV
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://swvnero.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Vaylen Thu May 06, 2010 9:45 pm

Another Graysonian! (or is it Graysonite?... Graysonese? Anyways...) So glad you're interrested in joinin us! It's great that you've decided on a basic theme for your character (always a great starting point) I will make a notable suggestion: don't set anything in stone until you're tried things out first. I don't know any of us who hasn't tweeked our characters after their first event. My brother (both in game and out) is a Celestial Templar and enjoys the short mace/spear combo (besides we could probably make a decent looking "spear" that looks like a staff {just remember spears are thrust only} ) Personally i'm an earth scholar and I have the fighting skills of a bloated garden slug so I enjoy the reach of a good polearm. But yes, if you have any questions let any of us know and we'll be more than glad to help out!

Oh and have you thought of what race you want to be?

-Daniel
Vaylen
Vaylen

Back to top Go down

Post  darksideuser Tue May 11, 2010 2:57 am

Thanks so much guys! Sorry I've been slow to respond. Been moving out of college for the summer and it's been hectic. I'm looking into armor and everything. For now, I will prob try to get/have made a robe of some form and I'll build from there. As a celestial templar, am I limited in what types of armor I can use? As far as weapons, I will probably have a staff and a single sword and just use only one or the other at times if this is ok. I will be going the "more combat" route for now (simply because memorizing 250 spells is murder at first i think lol). I will need help building my character as far as points here and there go. I've never table topped so this is very new to me though I know the basic idea from WoW and Morrowind about investing points in this section or that. I also have a friend who is interested and he wishes to follow the same path as a celestial templar. When will the next event or meeting be? Oh, and I haven't decided on a race yet. Probably human though I would like any opinions you all have regarding a good race for this form of character.

darksideuser

Back to top Go down

Post  Micha_Amasai Tue May 11, 2010 8:48 am

Every Character starts with 30 build (the rulebook says 15), (Have you had a chance to look over the rulebook?)
Setup for a Human-Templar like you described would look something like:
Read & Write 3
Read Magic 4
Staff 4
One Hand Edge 7
Total of 18 build

Your Spell Block would be something like:
Lvl 1 x4
Lvl 2 x3
Lvl 3 x2

a 4 | 3 | 2 block for 11 build

A total cost of 29 build leaving you with 1 extra build.....

The good thing is you can re-write your character before you are level 5 (which around 4 events)...

That's just one route you could look at going!
Micha_Amasai
Micha_Amasai

Back to top Go down

Post  darksideuser Wed May 12, 2010 2:22 pm

Ok I have a lot of reading to do lol. Gonna try to come on Saturday and bring my friend Dave who is also interested in a celestial templar build. Don't have much costume stuff yet as my aunt hasn't finished sewing but I have a cloak and can throw something rough together. Don't have any weapons yet though and don't really know how to build a sword yet as I was gonna buy one. Thanks so much for everyone's help Very Happy

DSU
aka
Mike

darksideuser

Back to top Go down

Post  Micha_Amasai Wed May 12, 2010 4:03 pm

YAY!... More people are always fun!... I have a few extra swords that I can lend out!.... if you let me know the kind of weapons you'd like I can try to make some!

Michael
Micha_Amasai
Micha_Amasai

Back to top Go down

Post  darksideuser Fri May 14, 2010 6:22 pm

So apparently I am bringing 3, not 1, friends tomorrow. So that makes a total of 3 complete noobs and 1 of the guys is active with another group. Hope this is ok. Also, anyone know how many people to expect tomorrow? I am really looking forward to this and to meeting you all!

Mike

darksideuser

Back to top Go down

Post  Micha_Amasai Fri May 14, 2010 6:28 pm

Cool.... more is always better.... we are looking at around 16ish..... (not counting your group) so 20ish or so.....
Micha_Amasai
Micha_Amasai

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 15, 2010 2:13 am

Looks like just me and Kitten. - .- my 'mate' bailed on me again. I'm going to have a new fox tail soon.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down