LARP, LLC Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cartographer needed.

4 posters

Go down

Cartographer needed.  Empty Cartographer needed.

Post  Vaylen Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:43 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen,
As there are many new faces in the area, I feel a resubmission of my previous request to be apropos. Those who have spent some time in the area may realize that the current maps we have available are vague, out of scale, and fraught with inaccuracies and omissions. I admit that I have no skill in cartography however we are in desperate need of some archive kept of the lands for scholarly chronicles, trade routes, and military endeavors. I call to anyone with experience in cartography or anyone with artistic merit to aid us in creating a better account of the lands in the area. I can provide what notes I can on general areas we have found and heard of. Unfortunately, the only creatures that have a fair understanding of these lands are the rat-kin and to them everything is about twenty miles away. I am sure that the Naringal Militia would pay handsomely for a more accurate representation of the land. If anyone is willing to assist us in this endeavor, feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience.
Vaylen
Vaylen

Back to top Go down

Cartographer needed.  Empty Re: Cartographer needed.

Post  Terik Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:11 am

My brother is correct. Maps are needed. The Rat-men are some of my best soldiers, but their map is in the shape of a triangle. There is only 3 cardinal directions of up, this way, and that way. It can get frustrating.
Terik
Terik

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:28 am

Please send me what notes you have and perhaps I can be of some use. I apprenticed as a scout on the borders of my homeland and I have some small skill in map making.

- Winterlight

Back to top Go down

Post  luvian parmaloche Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:39 pm

I know I am new to the area, but I would be willing to help as well. For a price, I am a traveling merchant after all. I am also an avid collector of maps and other items of a cartographic nature. With the art skills of my daughter and wife and my knowledge of what maps should look like I may be able to come up with something useable.

In service,
Luvian and the Parmaloche clan

Written by paided scribe

luvian parmaloche

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:37 pm

I believe what Winterlight is trying to say is that - we - would be willing to help in the making of a new map. I am a formally trained celestial magician and I can read the stars well enough to perform any cartography that needs doing. She knows the area well enough so that she can contribute. I am actually quite experienced at map-making and I am also a qualified scribe. Vaylen, we will have your map for you within the month.

Katatherick Mang

Back to top Go down

Post  Vaylen Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:48 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am pleased with the response to my request and will therefore post that each of you craft maps. Then, we shall see who’s map can prove more useful. That said there are numerous areas of Naringal that must be included when we come across them. We have numerous areas that we have been informed about by others and more areas that we know of but we do not know their original names only what we use in reference to them:

Naringal itself is more in the shape of a kite shield and is around 400 leagues wide and almost 700 leagues from north to south.

Along the southern edge of Naringal lies the Vintergas Moors. Obviously as the name implies the Vintergas is a huge swamp which holds keep to many of the foul creatures that would inhabit such a realm including trolls, goblinkin, lizardmen, and yes hag. Given the location of the moors, it would have to be a very large valley that connects with the great river

Haven is nestled north of the Vintergas Moors in what I refer to as the Stoneforge Mountains. As you may have noticed the buildings of haven are built into a “v” shaped crevice in the bosom of the mountains allowing what used to be a road to the Bawnishall mines to the west and a road north east to the coast of the great river. (and now used to make a path to Docktown)

North of Haven is the Borderlands. These vast fields are only marginally smattered with young groves of trees and new brush. My personal theories of these lands include that they may have been used for farmland, they were once a massive battlefield, or they are just recently recovering from a massive defilement. In a small portion of this land, the Amasai and Arvil have taken claim to the land in hopes of one day cultivating it.

On the eastern side of the borderlands lies Docktown next to the great river. It is virtually a nondescript hamlet…with a dock.

To the west by southwest of the borderlands lies the Bawnishall Mines. These mines are one of the few known entrances to the Underrealm the Dwarves mine the superficial layer of the mines and also inhabit some of it as a small outpost, however, they are on constant guard from attacks from further below.

North east of the Bawnishall Mines on the edge of the borderlands is the Valley of Sorrows, a deadly mélange of tunnels and caverns that house creatures and denizens of the most vile form.

West and north of the borderlands is the Naer Fade forest. These woods are vast thick and relatively uncharted. It is a mystery what secrets and dangers lay in such a shrouded land.

North of Docktown and the borderlands lies the ancient Barrows; it is a dark reminder of those that once inhabited these lands. The barrows consist of numerous mounds of earth used to bury a massive amount of those who have fallen. Some places consist of shallow mass graves; others are giant tombs honoring those of a former great station.

Skitterfell is north by northeast of Docktown and East of the Barrows. It is a well hidden city of the rat-kin that is impossible to find unless accompanied by a native.

The great river runs from north to south in the lands of Naringal. It feeds the water of Loch Naduwn which lies on the boarder of the Naer Fade woods. The loch feeds the Herun Duin river that flows east to west and enters the Near Fade.

The ruins of Amrun Taury lie in the Near Fade woods along the Herun Duin river. Nestled here lies one of the ancient gates.

Far to the north past the Keldpazen mountains lies Varhardt. It is a remote northern town high in elevation that houses the last living human descendants of the land.

Far to the west of the Naer Fade Forest is a land I call Ashenfell. It is said to be an Ancient human city destroyed by a great mountain from the sky.

Here is a copy of the last vague sketching I made of the lands. I cannot wait to see what you all come up with.

http://www.neroswv.com/CreaturesImg/images/may_map610.jpg
Vaylen
Vaylen

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:40 pm

Here is the map Katatherick and I created! Cartographer needed.  Map_of_naringal_by_aos_ceirde-d35zhbl

Back to top Go down

Post  Cirin Icerider Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:49 pm

(Posted by messenger)

Perhaps I could be of assistance,

Among my other talents and skills, I am a highly skilled cartographer and have performed mapping services for not just my own homeland of Willowdark, but for the various Baronial Courts in Stonegate.

While my official duties in Willowdark have made prolonged visits to your lands difficult, I have always wished for prosperity and peace for Naringal.

Accurate maps are an important step to this, and my cartographic services and resources may be able to assist you. I would be happy to assist or cooperate with whatever efforts you are making towards cartography and to help establish a proper infrastructure for training and professional development of the cartographic profession along with the other foreign aid that Willowdark has offered to aid in the development of Naringal.

In service to the Crown I remain,
Cirin Icerider
Cirin Icerider

Back to top Go down

Post  Vaylen Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:34 pm

Dear Winterlight and Mang,

The “map” you have provided is quite aesthetically pleasing. You should applaud yourselves for creating something pretty for us to wipe the excrement from our collective backsides as that is the most use we will be able to gather from what you have offered us. While I admit you have by far bested me artistically, this map provides naught but more misinformation.

First, it is the Barrows not the Burrows. Barrows are earthen grave sites… Burrows are cute little holes in the ground that bunnies live in. Now I ask you: which would be more accurate for a land filled with undead and tombs? Cute fluffy bunny home or Massive ancient gravesite?

Second, Haven is in the mountains. Look outside. You see those massive piles of earth soaring up into the heavens that surround us here in Haven? Those are mountains. We are surrounded by those mountains. Now, do you see the river? No? Then why by all the planes did you decide to put Haven next to the river on the map?

Third, your map shows the Valley of Sorrows in a field. Did I call it the pothole of sorrow? Did I call it a ravine of sorrow? No. I called it a Valley so how can it be in a field?

Fourth, Skitterfell is on this side of the river. None of us have yet been on the other side of the great river yet.

There is so much more that you have incorrectly depicted in your artwork, but I do not have time to name all of your flaws. That said the two of you should be quite proud of your artwork, but I am still waiting for a viable map.
Vaylen
Vaylen

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:03 am

Bitch bitch bitch, that's all you ever are. Here is the updated map, I'm sure you'll find more that is lacking in your 'infinite mapmaking wisdom'.

UPDATED... AGAIN

Cartographer needed.  Map_of_naringal_by_aos_ceirde-d35zhbl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down