LARP, LLC Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS WILL STOP NOW!!

3 posters

Go down

THIS WILL STOP NOW!! Empty THIS WILL STOP NOW!!

Post  Cirin Icerider Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:36 pm

For over two years since its creation, there has been no IG government at NERO SWV, and this has made it difficult for other IG governments to deal with them. Now, the plot twist of an Evendarrian claim on the land and a chance for Evendarr to annex Naringal has sparked the creation of a government. Amusingly, Evendarr is treated like they are two-dimensional cartoon villains here to be the Big Bad and impose tyranny, when in fact they are the IG government for about half of NERO chapters out there already, including the original NERO chapter in Massachusetts.

There is a lot of talk about refusing to acknowledge the authority of nobles, of democracy, of creating a Republic of Naringal.

From a strictly in-game perspective, this is total madness.

From an out-of-game perspective, the NERO 8th Edition Rulebook explicitly says characters can't come from land a modern, democratic government in the part about character backgrounds.

The ONLY in-game nation in the Tyrran setting known as a "Republic" is the Republic of Galerus, and that is a Roman-themed chapter that yes, does have a Senate, but it also has an Emperor (the name comes from the technicality that the Roman Republic turned into the Roman Empire without formally abolishing the Republic). Yes, it has a more-or-less democratic Senate, but it also has at least a figurehead Emperor. NERO Empire has a faux-Roman Empire with a formal name of Republic and some democratic trappings.

The talk I'm reading, and receiving in PM's, is more on the idea of fundamentally rejecting the concept of nobility for modern concepts of equality, democracy and freedom, and thinking that other nations will rally to Naringal's side as they trumpet 19th, 20th and 21st century values.

This is a medieval fantasy larp, not a wild west larp, not a sci-fi larp, not a vampire or cyberpunk larp. In a medieval setting with early 16th century technology and high-fantasy type magic a modern democratic Republic is, in my opinion, as out-of-place and anachronistic as Cirin walking into town and pulling out an M-16 and calling in an airstrike on an enemy lair.

Joseph Osborne
Cirin Icerider
Cirin Icerider

Back to top Go down

THIS WILL STOP NOW!! Empty Re: THIS WILL STOP NOW!!

Post  Hetrood Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:59 pm

I just keep seeing one sceen form Monty Python and the Holy Grail right now. "- am Arthur king of the britians" "who lives in that castle?"
Hetrood
Hetrood

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:26 pm

First of all, I totally get where you're coming from. I don't like the idea of any government when it comes to LARPS. I've had some bad experiences with it with a little group called Amtgard but still, this isn't any attempt to undermine any IG government outside of Naringal and technically not one of the characters in our chapter 'came from a land where democracy is rule.' We didn't come from a land like that, we're making a land like that. Quite a bit of difference. Although the word 'anachronistic' should never enter the fantasy realm - simply because there is no real history to be apart from - you need to look up your history a little more. Democracy isn't new. The Greeks were doing it long before we were and most successfully, I might add.

Now I guess what I'm wondering is, are you mad at use because we're going out of the box or because you're part of said nobility and don't like being made fun of? I guess I'm not seeing why you're so up in arms about this. I mean, this isn't even your chapter is it? What do you care what happens here? I apologize if I've upset anyone. Just my two cents.

Back to top Go down

Post  Cirin Icerider Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:04 pm

Katatherick Mang wrote:First of all, I totally get where you're coming from. I don't like the idea of any government when it comes to LARPS. I've had some bad experiences with it with a little group called Amtgard but still, this isn't any attempt to undermine any IG government outside of Naringal and technically not one of the characters in our chapter 'came from a land where democracy is rule.' We didn't come from a land like that, we're making a land like that. Quite a bit of difference. Although the word 'anachronistic' should never enter the fantasy realm - simply because there is no real history to be apart from - you need to look up your history a little more. Democracy isn't new. The Greeks were doing it long before we were and most successfully, I might add.

Now I guess what I'm wondering is, are you mad at use because we're going out of the box or because you're part of said nobility and don't like being made fun of? I guess I'm not seeing why you're so up in arms about this. I mean, this isn't even your chapter is it? What do you care what happens here? I apologize if I've upset anyone. Just my two cents.
Perhaps you should read the NERO rulebook. The section on "justifying anachronisms", where it allows things like indoor plumbing, regular bathing, and eyeglasses and describes them as "anachronisms". In this context, "anachronism" describes an element of the setting which is not congruous with the general setting. As a setting that is outright described as being late dark ages/early renaissance, a democratic republic is not fitting.

I'm not upset at people thinking "out of the box", I'm thinking that people aren't even trying to pretend that Tyrra is a medieval fantasy setting, with a few smatterings of areas inspired by other historic eras.

Perhaps you should realize this is not Amtgard, which is a combat game with some roleplaying elements and if there is no government it's not a problem. NERO is a roleplaying game, and having no IG government, not even a token one, means it's anarchy, which IG is just begging for some noble to come in and make things civilized. . .like what is happening now. NERO SWV is pretty unique that plot didn't start you with a government and gave you the ability to create one, the vast majority of chapters just create an NPC government and let PC's earn a place in it with time (or start a rebellion against it if the government are villains).

As for the whole "this isn't my chapter" thing, let's see.
1. I have played at NERO SWV, heck Cirin was at the first event.
2. There is lots of plot crossover between the two chapters, as an example: one of the NERO Kentucky IG towns even has a portal in it that is tied to the portals at Amrun Taury and creatures unique to Naringal now plague Willowdark as they pour through.
3. There is a lot of player crossover between the two chapters, lots of SWV players play at KY, lots of KY players play at SWV. The owners of each chapter play at each other.
4. NERO SWV have even run a joint event
Cirin Icerider
Cirin Icerider

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:51 pm

Wow... um I think you are taking this way too seriously dude. It's just a game. If you don't like it, don't think about it. If it bothers you, don't play here or take it up with the Admin. It's like a review I saw on Amazon the other day about Naruto. The guy wrote an over 5000 word review of it trashing it and admitted he had sat an watched the entire series... all of it. 220 episodes of something he hated just to complain about it. That's dedication to being annoyed.

You can continue being pissed off, or you can get over it. I suggest the latter because being angry all the time is exhausting.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:55 pm

In the interests of keeping this civil, I suggest that you not attempt to preach the use of the English language, not even a single word, to the man who has spent most of his twenties in school for English, writing and basically every class that my university has to offer that even pertaining to the use of English both modern and middle. Second, don't make the mistake that just because I mentioned Amtgard, I am under any illusions that NERO is anything like Amtgard. Just because someone mentions something, doesn't mean they believe the game they are currently playing is anything like that. Don't put words in my mouth.

Now, the exact definition of Anachronism, in any context, is as follows: "Something or someone that is not in its correct historical or chronological time, esp. a thing or person that belongs to an earlier time." This quote was taken from www.dictionary.com. I suggest you go there. That being said, and we're agreeing here that we are talking about fantasy, which has no real context in real life history, then quite honestly, since it has been done before, democracy isn't anachronistic. Are you willing to try and tell me that not one medieval village had a village council? If so, you'd a be a liar. Most of them did because are records going back that far that speak of such things. Believe me, I had to study them exhaustively so I know they exist.

I wasn't aware that you were so ensconced in our group. After all, it says on your profile that you've only posted on this board twice. Maybe you have another account? Whatever the cause, I assumed that your only recent arrival pointed that you were only a new arrival. If that isn't the case, my my mistake. Now I suggest that if you don't want anyone to respond negatively to this thread, then go talk directly to the Administration, not the populace of this forum. Travis knows best, talk to him. Otherwise, be prepared to get an earful. Because this is the nature of these boards, people will respond to what you post. That is what they're for and ultimately, if you don't want to argument, don't post anything inflammatory. I'm not going to respond to any further bull crap. That being said, talk to Travis or get over it. It's just a game.

Back to top Go down

THIS WILL STOP NOW!! Empty IMPORTANT NOTICE

Post  Admin Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:32 pm

To ALL,

This conversation will STOP, as THE owner of NERO SWV I let my clients decide what they wish to do at all time if it doesn't affect the spirit of the rules. This conversation isn't part of the rules it is about the feel of the game when it was made back in 1988.

The times are changing my chapter is one of the fastest growing chapters because of my treatment of my clients, plot, props, and the feel of my game. I'm not going to change this at all, as I have stated numerous times over there is nothing in Naringal it is all up to you. Hence why my chapter's tag line is "The Choice is yours."

So if my players wish to make a republic like NCN then SO be it. If they wish to have no government SO be it. If they wish to is their own kingdom like WAR then SO be it. If they wish to be an EMPIRE like NERO Elkins SO be it. If they wish to be a territory like NERO KY then SO be it.

Now if you do not like this then DO NOT muddle up my boards. Also, I have a no BULL SHIT policy which means if you do not like how I run my chapter you can go some where else. It won't hurt me just like McDonalds doesn’t' cry when you go to Wendy’s. Plus remember I DO NOT have to except anyone’s money at my events. I currently have on my list three people I do not provide services for because of what they did over a year ago. They are not banned here; I just do not provide my services of entertaining them.

This is my final WORD on this subject and as always I appreciate your business.

Travis Fauber
Owner NERO SWV
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://swvnero.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum