LARP, LLC Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chain Maille Maintenance

2 posters

Go down

Chain Maille Maintenance Empty Chain Maille Maintenance

Post  Guest Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:03 am

I've noticed that the sleeves of my maille are becoming tarnished and dull. I was wondering if anyone out there knew how to properly maintenance a suit of maille? If so, please respond. I don't want to let it go so far as to become rusted from either sweat or rain...or anything else that might happen during a LARP - who knows, it could be just about anything, right? Either way, please let me know.

Back to top Go down

Chain Maille Maintenance Empty Re: Chain Maille Maintenance

Post  Micha_Amasai Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:21 am

Hey Ben,

You want yo keep it oiled! ... WD-40!

Micha_Amasai
Micha_Amasai

http://www.shopneroswv.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:02 pm

steel or alumina? for my alum chain I fill up a bucket of the metal cleaning stuff that billy myes used to offer. Kept it pretty shiny.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:07 pm

It's steel. Oiled, okay...I've also heard of people who tie it up in a bag with a bunch of sand and shake the crap out of it. Apparently, the sand is supposed to strip the tarnish and rust away until it's shiny again?

Back to top Go down

Post  Arvil Boulderbreaker Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:25 am

Katatherick Mang wrote:It's steel. Oiled, okay...I've also heard of people who tie it up in a bag with a bunch of sand and shake the crap out of it. Apparently, the sand is supposed to strip the tarnish and rust away until it's shiny again?

I would only do that it it is very tarnished and starting to rust. sand is a big abrasive, and might wear down the steel to much. I would spot sand with sand paper any rust areas and WD-40 the crap out of the whole thing.
Arvil Boulderbreaker
Arvil Boulderbreaker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum