LARP, LLC Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New potential player

+3
Nabsten
Micha_Amasai
John
7 posters

Go down

New potential player Empty New potential player

Post  John Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:14 pm

Howdy.

I have never played Nero before and intend on checking it out sometime soon. I am experienced with LARPing, however, having played Amtgard for several years and been a member of the SCA for a few as well. I've got a few questions.

Every organization has different requirements on their weapons. What are the minimum safety standards for weaponry? What materials are not allowed for use in their construction (by this I mean bamboo, PVC, graphite, fiberglass, etc., not wood, rattan, steel piping, rusty nails, or other obviously dangerous materials)?

I saw some other posts on here about using plastic armor. Are actual materials rated higher, or is plastic given equal billing?

When glancing over the rules, I came across the one on "charging." How often is this called?

How big are allowed shields, and what is their use in your game?

Thanks guys,

John

John

Back to top Go down

New potential player Empty Re: New potential player

Post  Micha_Amasai Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:58 pm

Every organization has different requirements on their weapons. What are the minimum safety standards for weaponry? What materials are not allowed for use in their construction (by this I mean bamboo, PVC, graphite, fiberglass, etc., not wood, rattan, steel piping, rusty nails, or other obviously dangerous materials)?

I saw some other posts on here about using plastic armor. Are actual materials rated higher, or is plastic given equal billing?

When glancing over the rules, I came across the one on "charging." How often is this called?

How big are allowed shields, and what is their use in your game?

Hey John and welcome to NERO!....

-- All weapons are constructed with 5/8 pipe insulation and must have a 2" open cell crush tip on each end... The core can be PVC, CPVC, graphite, fiberglass. There is a weapon section in the Players Guide on Page (61 is a nice chart)

-- Charging is a safety thing and Normally called by other players, so it varies... the marshals will more then likely call you on it!

-- Shields The total shield size cannot be greater than 531 square inches, and the longest
dimension cannot exceed 36”. Any voids gaps, holes or recesses, will be included in the overall shield area.
The shield must have 5/8 “ thick foam surrounding the edge. No bolts or other protuberances are allowed ---- they are used as a shield to block incoming blows!

Michael
Micha_Amasai
Micha_Amasai

http://www.shopneroswv.com

Back to top Go down

Post  John Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:04 pm

Okay. Can the pipe insulation or the open cell be replaced with any other type of foam, such as pool noodle or camp mat? Also, I heard something about using latex weapons. What's the deal with those?

John

Back to top Go down

Post  Nabsten Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:06 pm

John,

First, let me say Welcome to the site. I will try to answer your questions as best as I can.

PVC, graphite, and fiberglass are fine for Boffer weapon construction. Bamboo and the others you mentioned are not. Weapon "blades" must be 5/8 inc thick wall closed cell foam with 2-3 inch open cell foam thrusting tips. Most latex weapons are allowed (there is an approved list of manufacturers at http://www.nerolarp.com/PolicyInfo/PolicyLatex.htm ). Weapons have to be covered with cloth or a cloth based tape (duct tape, rip-stop/nylon tape, gaffers, etc.) I will see if I can find the full list of guidelines and post it. This would cover the shield size question as well.

As far as armor goes, I think you get a few extra points for real armor, but if so, it isn't much. Travis could probably answer that one best.

Charging is a rule implemented for safety. Other game systems allow you to knock people down, shield bash, etc, but these are not allowed in NERO. I have only seen it called a few times at NERO SWV, but in other chapters I have seen it called alot (usually on the same few people every time). Fighting can still be somewhat aggresive, you just can't get right up in someones face during combat.

Shields can be used in NERO to block weapon strikes, arrows, thrown weapons, etc. They do not block spells, elemental attacks, and other similar attacks. "Turtling" or hiding behind the shield completely is not allowed. Off the top of my head I think that the maximum single dimension on a shield is 36 inches, but there is a maximum area as well.

I know I left out a few things, but hopefully I answered some of your questions.

Noah

Nabsten
Nabsten

Back to top Go down

Post  Micha_Amasai Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:11 pm

LATEX WEAPONS!
www.shopneroswv.com

There are MANY MANY other out there I CAN GET, just not everything is up on the site yet!

Michael
Micha_Amasai
Micha_Amasai

Back to top Go down

Post  Nabsten Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:12 pm

Looks like Michael beat me to it on a few of the answers, haha.

Pool noodle is too hard. I have tried it and it really isn't soft enough. If you perforated the outer portion of it ALOT it may be soft enough, but generally I would say no. Camp mat is used by some people who make "carved" weapons, but I don't know if they are allowed in this chapter. I would guess yes, IF it met all of the safety requirements and was well constructed.

Noah
Nabsten
Nabsten

Back to top Go down

Post  Micha_Amasai Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:14 pm

Yes Noah, cause I'm awesome! ... lol .... about time your active on the boards again!....

Micha_Amasai
Micha_Amasai

Back to top Go down

Post  Nabsten Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:15 pm

I have been active, but Kelvaren hasn't.........
Nabsten
Nabsten

Back to top Go down

Post  Micha_Amasai Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:16 pm

Well Tru! ...

Kelvaren is awesome! ... and needs to find his way back here! .... or at least close by!
Micha_Amasai
Micha_Amasai

Back to top Go down

Post  Vaylen Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:32 pm

Well, thanks to Adam I am going to have plenty of pipe insulation foam and he also got me a butt load of pipe and i'm going to have a gear making day coming up so if you need a weapon lemme know.
Vaylen
Vaylen

Back to top Go down

Post  Kouga Lunic Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:39 pm

For the new people here i need 4 shortswords a sheild a one handef axe and a long sword how much would that cost me?
Kouga Lunic
Kouga Lunic

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:30 am

John,

Hi, I’m Travis Fauber Owner of NERO SWV, I would like to welcome you as well to our boards. We have a few people in the chapter that had Amtgard backgrounds before they started playing NERO. Most of them told me they left because they were looking for alittle more adventure and Role-Play. I don’t know if this is the case for you, and welcome you either way. I also noticed a lot of you questions have already been answered but I will go over again just one more time.

Just like Noah stated we use “PVC, graphite, and fiberglass for Boffer weapon construction. Bamboo and the others you mentioned are not. Weapon "blades" must be 5/8 inc thick wall closed cell foam with 2-3 inch open cell foam thrusting tips. Weapons have to be covered with cloth or a cloth based tape (duct tape, rip-stop/nylon tape, gaffers, etc.)

Noah is also correct about Pool noodle it is too hard. It can not be use to replace 5/8s wall foam. Now camp for on the other hand can be used, but this is usually after you have made a NERO spec weapon numerous times over. Because once you get the idea of what we are looking for it will just take some time to perfect using this material. I suggest to not use it your first time, out because it won’t pass. I’ve been doing this for quite some time and everyones weapons I’ve seen that has come to my door has always failed first time out. Now this doesn’t mean I won’t let you use it for the day or weekend. It has to be very BAD for me to not let you use it at all. We have back up weapons that we can let you use if this every happens.

Personally I would let one of the veteran players make you a weapon. This way you will have one that will be good to go and have a model to go off of, when you make your own.

Here is the link to our website the players guide has instuctions on weapon creation on page 61 and there is a link on the site for creating boffers.

http://neroswv.com/playerguide.html

We also use latex weapons, these weapons can’t be used to waylay someone as they don’t have a waylay tip or to thrust as they don’t have a thrusting tip. They are primary used for slashing strikes. Here is a link to the best known manufacturers of these weapons.

http://www.nerolarp.com/PolicyInfo/PolicyLatex.htm.

Also, just like Michael had stated we are vendors for most latex weapons you can find online. If you don’t see at our shop just contact Michael Jones to ask if he can get it for you.

http://weapons.shopneroswv.com/

Here are some pictures of the different weapon types:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eleanor-WV/NERO-SWV/108035029261373?v=photos&ref=ts#!/photo.php?fbid=108071865924356&set=a.108062129258663.12044.108035029261373

Yes, real materals are rated higher, but we understand that some people can’t afford to buy such things so we rate plastic as plate, plastic rings as chain, heavy cloth and fake leather as leather.

About Charging Noah is correct we don’t have a problem with it. But it is set up as a safety issue, so no one will be up in someones space when fighting. Now if you have a dagger and need to get in closer this is perfectly fine.

Now as for Shields, Michael is correct the total shield size cannot be greater than 531 square inches, and the longest dimension cannot exceed 36”. Any voids gaps, holes or recesses, will be included in the overall shield area. The shield must have 5/8 “ thick foam surrounding the edge. Bolts and screws must be coverd as well. Now shields are used NERO, just as Noah stated, to block weapon strikes, arrows, thrown weapons, etc. They do not block spells, elemental attacks, and other similar attacks. "Turtling" or hiding behind the shield completely is not allowed.

Ok now that I went over all your questions, let me tell you a little bit about my chapter. We are a action heavy and roleplay heavy chapter of NERO. The plot lines and storys that are written or on the web site are for the most part all written by me. If you ask any of the other players they will let you know that our plot is deep and rich. Plus, don’t be surprised if your character has a moral issue here and there once he is created.

Here is a link to our website, fan page, and group page on facebook. We have lots of pictures, photos of props, and video if your interested.

http://neroswv.com/

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Eleanor-WV/NERO-SWV/108035029261373

https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=112927647557

Now about the action unlike many chapters we run all night long, plot does not shut down. Also, there is little down time as I have many hooks out for characters, module sheets (sheets that you find that state a situation you encounter in the area of the camp.) plus you never know when you will be attacked. The creatures you will face won’t be over stated monster cards, some creatures that are powerful will have special abilites and won’t be taken down easily. Other creatures can be taken down easily if you can best the skill of the NPC you are fighting, and trust me we are VERY good at fighting and casting. This is why we can make a goblin swinging 5 points of damage, low armor, and low body fun for everyone. Trust me I don’t go all out on new players, but those veteran and out of chapter players. I try to give them a taste they have never had before. Also, we enjoy using numbers not stats to challenge people as well. Just ask some of my friends that play here they don’t run into a resist fest with their 50-60+ lvl characters and they still get there skills used up just the same.

If you have any other questions about my chapter just drop me a line at swvnero@gmail.com. I would be more then happy to help and even help you build a character. I look forward to hearing from you

~T

Last edited by Admin on Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://swvnero.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Arvil Boulderbreaker Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:30 am

Welcome to the boards and hope to see you at an event John.

Travis and the guys should have answered the questions that you posted, but please ask any followup or new questions you have. Travis not only runs a great game he is excellent at customer support. and if you do decide to create a character I suggest a Dwarf as they are the best and most well rounded of the races in NERO.
Arvil Boulderbreaker
Arvil Boulderbreaker

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:26 pm

Don't listen to Arvil! Scavengers are the best! I say we have more fun at drinking contacts cause one drawf has yet to best me! lol....*goes and hides now in fox hole*

Back to top Go down

Post  Arvil Boulderbreaker Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:55 pm

Ti Tie wrote:Don't listen to Arvil! Scavengers are the best! I say we have more fun at drinking contacts cause one drawf has yet to best me! lol....*goes and hides now in fox hole*

We shall see about that little vixen!!!
Arvil Boulderbreaker
Arvil Boulderbreaker

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:00 pm

Lol! Drinking contest! I'll mix the alchemy!

Back to top Go down

Post  Kouga Lunic Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:01 pm

im new to but i love my scavanger lol
Kouga Lunic
Kouga Lunic

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down